Publishing Series - May
Time & Location
About the Event
Join us for our FREE MONTHLY PUBlLISHING SERIES! I am so honored that professor and award-winning published author Jane K. Cleland will be joining us in May! She will share how she got published and to talk about her own writing process and upcoming book, the 14th in the Josie Prescott Antiques mystery series, Jane Austen's Lost Letters; published by Saint Martin's Minotaur Press.
MAY TOPIC - FIND YOUR PATH TO PUBLICATION
Learn everything you need to know about publication options to fit your niche. We’ll compare and contrast the Big Five (traditional publishers), small presses, hybrids, and DYI self-publishing. We’ll also discuss how to find a literary agent and review the editing process - from developmental editing to line editing & from copyediting to proofreading.
FEATURED AUTHOR - JANE K. CLELAND
Jane K. Cleland writes both fiction and nonfiction, including the long-running and multiple award-winning Josie Prescott Antiques Mysteries [St. Martin’s & Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine] and the Agatha Award-winning bestsellers Mastering Suspense, Structure & Plot and Mastering Plot Twists [Writer’s Digest Books], recommended by Dan Brown, Louise Penny, David Baldacci, Hank Phillippi Ryan, and Neil Gaiman, among others. Jane is a contributing editor for Writer’s Digest Magazine, and the chair of the Wolfe Pack’s Black Orchid Novella Award (BONA), in partnership with AHMM. She is a frequent workshop leader and guest author at writing conferences and MFA Residencies. Jane offers free monthly workshops on the craft of writing in the “We’re All in It Together,” series. Details can be found at www.janecleland.com
ABOUT THE PUBLISHING SERIES
Demystifying the Publishing Industry One Author at a Time
This series was created to support writers who want to put their words out into the world. It was created to show that there is no one “right way” to get published - there are many paths to publication and this series will give you courage, inspiration and information so you can make your own decision about which path you want to explore and which is “right” for YOU.
WHO IS THIS SERIES FOR?
This series is for you if:
- You want to get published but don’t know anything about the publishing industry
- You know about publishing a little bit but are unsure about which route to take
- You have a complete or almost complete project and are thinking about next steps
- You are overwhelmed by the process of getting published
- You are ready to submit your work but don’t know where to start
- You are interested in making an informed decision and have agency about the way your words get put out into the world
- You want to be part of a community of writers
- You want to learn more about the publishing industry even if you don’t have a finished or even started project - but you have a dream of getting published
- You want to hear about the writing process of published authors
- You want to radically approve of your own writing process
WHAT WILL YOU GET?
- To ask direct questions to published authors in the Q & A
- To get close-up, personal access to award-winning, published authors
- To gain information so you can decide which path to publishing you want to pursue or explore more
- To learn about important writing/publishing related topics
- To find out more about the pros and cons of publishing your book using one of the 4 most common book publishing routes: self publishing, hybrid publishing, small press publishing and larger, well-known press publication
- Confidence that you, too, can get published
- Information about having an agent versus not having an agent
- Tools and important skills to prepare your writing for publication
HOW WILL YOU FEEL AFTER THIS SERIES?
- Confident that there IS a place in the world for your words
- Confident that your dream of getting published will be realized
- Informed - you will feel more confident and able to make a decision about how you want to get published and clear about which next steps to take
- Supported by a community of authors
- Inspired to complete your writing projects so you can share your stories with the world!
- This series was created to build confidence in writers by demystifying the publishing industry so more writers can bridge the gap between writing their stories and getting them out into the world!
- Each workshop was designed to build upon the previous one, and though you will get a LOT from the individual workshops, you will get the MOST from participating in ALL of them! By the end of this series you will have so many tools and so much knowledge and confidence that you may even begin submitting your work before the series is over!
- Through the course of this entire series, you will journey from a place of uncertainty, lack of confident or overwhelm, from not knowing where to turn for clarity and guidance, to a place of confidence, informed decision-making and a sense of being part of the larger community of writers
THE FORMAT Join us for a Zoom at Noon (EST) one Friday of each month, when a different published or up-and-coming author with a freshly signed book contract will join us to talk about:
• Their own writing process
• Their personal path to publication
• A learning module related to writing and publishing
• Q & A with author
We look forward to seeing you there!
**BONUS: When you register, you get 10% discount for 1:1 coaching, editing or the next writing workshop series
- May's Workshop$0$00$0
- Donation towards Series$10$100$0
- Donation for Series$25$250$0