My desire is to offer a space for others to create, to breathe, to contemplate, to reflect, and to grow—as humans and as writers. I encourage you to say “YES” to that voice inside you. You know the one: the one that has unspoken desires (or maybe you have screamed them from the top of a mountain and this is the Universe’s answer to you). Come, sit, and write. One-on-one, in small groups, or even from the comfort of your home…learn new skills that will catapult you to the next level of being!
My First Love. Writing
My loveship with writing began so long ago I barely remember it, but if I follow the first strand of memory it brings me to the old cedar swing that rested like a large ship on the lawn just outside the back door of my grandparent’s house. It shows me, from above, two heads bent in concentration: my mother’s black hair and mine, a soft reddish brown. She is showing me the letters. Teaching me how to write, one loop and curve at a time. I sink into my child’s body to feel the rough, splintering wood beneath my bare summer legs, the palms of one hand gripping the edge of the swing, as if I know to hold on tight: this is the beginning of a journey with words, and the waters of time may not always be smooth.
From my first feather pen, hand-made, I dipped into memory and imagination, creating marks on the page that became stories and poems. My imagination soared! Writing was a place—an actual place—I could go, whenever I wanted. The blank page felt like an empty white sand beach I could lie naked on, stretch out on, take up as much space as I wanted. Even now, a single mom with at times too many responsibilities, writing holds space for me. Each morning with my cup of coffee, I look out my window and observe the birds, the squirrels, the deer, even myself. I reflect, contemplate, and write. This tiny space carved out for me is essential to my humanness.
• MFA in Creative Nonfiction Writing / Sarah Lawrence College
• Official thesis editor / Pratt Institute (current)
• Professor of English Composition / Lehman College (current)
20 years of experience teaching writing
Assistant Literary Agent; Senior Editor; Marketing & Events Manager; freelance writer, editor and desktop publisher
How I Can Help You?
Schedule a complimentary
Send me a message in the form below.
- Wed, May 26Zoom meetingsMay 26, 5:00 PM EDTZoom meetingsThis NEW workshop focuses on the Craft of Writing! Learn essential skills to make your story "pop" and your characters seem like they are about to walk off the page. Find and hone your best one-liners to Hook your readers and not let them get away until the very last line.
- Fri, Jun 11Online SeriesJun 11, 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM EDTOnline SeriesDemystifying the publishing industry one author at a time. Meet award-winning authors & learn how they got published. In June, our guest author is Catherine Kapphahn, author of Immigrant Daughter: Stories You Never Told Me. TOPIC OF THE MONTH: Unleashing the Details
- Fri, Jun 11A Virtual Retreat (Online)