Time & Location
About the Event
Join us for our NEW PUBlLISHING SERIES! I am so honored that professor and published author Matt Caprioli will be joining us to share with you how he got published and to talk about his own writing process and upcoming book, One Headlight: an Alaskan Memoir, 2021; Cirque Press Books.
APRIL TOPIC - DRAWING IN THE LINES: USING PUBLISHING AS A SOURCE FOR CREATIVE WORK
Most creative writers begin with what's most important to them. While no doubt fantastic work derives from this introspective approach, it's hardly the only option. Sometimes, the most generative place for creative work is a rubric. In this session, you will learn how to view the external requirements of publishing (query letters, editor pitches, themed issues) less as tedious hurdles to overcome than welcome springboards on which to propel your work higher. Matt Caprioli (One Headlight: an Alaskan Memoir, 2021; Cirque Press Books) will discuss how the external requirements of Netflix, Chicken Soup for the Soul, and Opossum Literary Magazine helped him produce and find publishers for several personal essays and a full-length memoir.
FEATURED AUTHOR - MATT CAPRIOLI
Matt Caprioli was born in California in 1990 and raised in Alaska. He has studied at Clark University, the University of Alaska, and Columbia University, and holds an MFA in creative writing from Hunter College, where he was a Hertog Fellow. As a journalist, he was a regular contributor to The Anchorage Press and the Arts Editor at The Red Hook Star-Revue. His essays have appeared in Opossum Literary, Best Gay Stories, and Chicken Soup for the Soul. His story on moving to New York will be featured in the Netflix docuseries, Worn Stories. He teaches eaches English literature and writing at Lehman College in New York City. To find out more about him go to his website: Website: mattcap.com
ABOUT THE PUBLISHING SERIES
Demystifying the Publishing Industry One Author at a Time
This series was created to support writers who want to put their words out into the world. It was created to show that there is no one “right way” to get published - there are many paths to publication and this series will give you courage, inspiration and information so you can make your own decision about which path you want to explore and which is “right” for YOU.
WHO IS THIS SERIES FOR?
This series is for you if:
- You want to get published but don’t know anything about the publishing industry
- You know about publishing a little bit but are unsure about which route to take
- You have a complete or almost complete project and are thinking about next steps
- You are overwhelmed by the process of getting published
- You are ready to submit your work but don’t know where to start
- You are interested in making an informed decision and have agency about the way your words get put out into the world
- You want to be part of a community of writers
- You want to learn more about the publishing industry even if you don’t have a finished or even started project - but you have a dream of getting published
- You want to hear about the writing process of published authors
- You want to radically approve of your own writing process
WHAT WILL YOU GET?
- To ask direct questions to published authors in the Q & A
- To get close-up, personal access to award-winning, published authors
- To gain information so you can decide which path to publishing you want to pursue or explore more
- To learn about important writing/publishing related topics
- To find out more about the pros and cons of publishing your book using one of the 4 most common book publishing routes:
- self publishing
- hybrid publishing
- small press publishing
- larger, well-known press publication
- Confidence that you, too, can get published
- Information about having an agent versus not having an agent
- Tools and important skills to prepare your writing for publication
HOW WILL YOU FEEL AFTER THIS SERIES?
- Confident that there IS a place in the world for your words
- Confident that your dream of getting published will be realized
- Informed - you will feel more confident and able to make a decision about how you want to get published and clear about which next steps to take
- Supported by a community of authors
- Inspired to complete your writing projects so you can share your stories with the world!
- This series was created to build confidence in writers by demystifying the publishing industry so more writers can bridge the gap between writing their stories and getting them out into the world!
- Each workshop was designed to build upon the previous one, and though you will get a LOT from the individual workshops, you will get the MOST from participating in ALL of them! By the end of this series you will have so many tools and so much knowledge and confidence that you may even begin submitting your work before the series is over!
- Through the course of this entire series, you will journey from a place of uncertainty, lack of confident or overwhelm, from not knowing where to turn for clarity and guidance, to a place of confidence, informed decision-making and a sense of being part of the larger community of writers
THE FORMAT Join us for a Zoom at Noon (EST) one Friday of each month, when a different published or up-and-coming author with a freshly signed book contract will join us to talk about:
• Their own writing process
• Their personal path to publication
• A learning module related to writing and publishing
• Q & A with author
We look forward to seeing you there!
**BONUS: When you register, you get 10% discount for 1:1 coaching, editing or the next writing workshop series
- April's Workshop$0$00$0